I may have groveled for the FMF prompt this week. After two weeks away from this beautiful community, I was jonesing for some word magic. And when our lovely hostess, Kate, delivered the word “TEN”, I thought – eek, be careful what you ask for. I suspect she knew she’d get this groups creative juices flowing and that in the end, as we always are, we’d be inspired and well, have some fun. So, sweet Kate – I’m taking the fun route with my take on: TEN.
Summer Luvin’: TEN Things About Summer That Make Me Smile
1. Togetherness: Two teachers and one student means my family gets the ENTIRE summer off…together.
2. No Alarm Clocks: No rising before the sun. Instead, we check the clock, give a good stretch, and fall right back to sleep. Unless your mind wakes up the minute your eyes do – in which case you jump to #3.
3. Mornings on the Patio: With no rush to get out of the house, I can linger in God’s word, watch the hummingbirds drink of the homemade, dye-free nectar my hubby made them, and enjoy the quiet stillness of the day.
4. Sweet Tea: This one needs no further explanation, right?
5. Time: It slows in the summer. When paired with the delectable feeling of no have-to’s and to-do’s, I’m quite thrilled to have her on my side for a few months.
6. Ocean Waves: I don’t like the sand, and my nearly 40 year-old skin isn’t crazy about the sun, but a beach chair, umbrella, and the crashing deep blue, is good for the soul.
7. Ice Cream at Midnight: Because of #1 and #2, the hubby and I get to stay up late, watch movies, catch up on the DVR, and with each other. And if you just so happen to want dessert at the dawn of the new day, have at it!
8. Buns & Headbands: No blow-dryer, no curling iron, just a messy bun and a headband.
9. No Lunches: I still make it, but for some reason it feels so much better than doing it the night before and packing it in a box for school. Go figure?!
10. Sundays: Because well, when you have the summer off, the threat of a looming Monday looses its sting, and church day is just that much sweeter.
This post is a link-up to the Five-Minute Friday community. An inspired and beautiful group of gifted writers who pour their heart on the page over one word prompt. Come join the Friday free-write festivities or the early bird joy on Thursdays on Twitter @ #fmfparty. For details, please visit our gracious hostess, Kate Motaung.