If you read my post from earlier this week, you know that I’m returning from 2 weeks of commanded rest. Imagine my excitement to find that my return to Five Minute Friday comes with the debut of my FMF Intro Video! Talk about Divine timing. God is just too sweet to me.
Excitement, though, is all relative because: 1) I don’t like watching myself on camera. 2) The sound of my own voice is akin to nails on a chalkboard. 3) Confession time: In the video, I short-changed the years I’ve been married by one year. This my husband will never let me live down. So, friends … we have been married 16 – sixteen – one dash six, amazing years!! Love you, babe!
However, my excitement is genuine in taking this moment to grab onto this word prompt and share a few of my most favorite things. These are completely for fun and listed in the order they pop into my mind …
1) Words: How can I write a post full of them without giving credit where credit is due. I’m a lover of words. Writing, reading, speaking, skimming over, and siphoning through. In the past two years, God has really renewed my calling to write. Coupled with His purpose, words have taken on a whole new life. I’m learning to be more intentional with them as I hone my craft, share my heart, and above all else, use words to speak truth – His and my own.
2) Sweet Tea and Chocolate Chip Cookies: I’m supposed to stay away from caffeine, so I have to do both tea and chocolate in moderation. But this combination is one that simply makes me happy. When I’m good, I do decaf green tea with stevia. Middle ground is a Venti Starbucks shaken, black iced tea – add extra ice, extra water, 2 pumps sweetener. And the throw caution to the wind choice would be a large McDonald’s sweet tea. The cookies – well, I haven’t met one I don’t like, but homemade or Famous Amos are at the top of my list.
3) Dark Chocolate Covered Berries: These little devils are just scrumptious. The Costco Kirkland brand are my favorite, because the chocolate melts away from the berry just so and, nestled inside, are whole cherries and blueberries.
4) The Hallmark Channel: Whether it’s a romantic comedy, Christmas in July, or When Calls The Heart, I’m a sucker for anything Hallmark – especially those with a happy ending.
5) Fiction: Neatly tied to #4 is the delight of escaping into a good book. Perhaps its the whole word thing, but I love to read both for leisure and to study the craft. I keep a running note on my iPad called “borrowed words.” If I love the way an author describes emotion or perfectly captures an action beat, I copy it from the kindle page and paste it. This isn’t for plagiarism, just inspiration. Non-fiction is great too, but when I want to relax, fiction does the trick.
6) My son’s cheeks and ear lobes: I’ll admit this is entirely odd, and he’ll likely not be happy I publicized this, but the kid has cheeks like clouds and his ear lobes are like itty-bitty, fuzzy peaches. When I’m stressed or worried, sinking a kiss into those cheeks is probably one of the best things in the world. I’ve also been known to pinch an earlobe and just melt. At 12, he indulges me and just between you and me, he squeals a bit, but he’s never turned down a kiss.
7) My husband’s hands: Strong and safe, slipping mine into his just makes everything in the world right. Knowing that I’m his and he’s mine, that linked together we are stronger than we are apart, well – it’s just a beautiful thing. And um, they are sexy too. :)
8) Music: I have playlists based on what I’m doing – writing, playing, cleaning, relaxing. My worship music is a staple, but I’m also a huge fan of Indie Rock, Alternative, and most recently Country music. Because I love words, I’m prone to really listen to the story behind the music and research the lyrics. A few artists on repeat right now are: I Am They, All Sons and Daughters, Bethel Music, Brett Eldredge, and Lauren Daigle.
9) My home: It’s my haven, my sweet spot, the one place where I can truly breathe and be me. I’m a clean freak and so I like my home to be orderly. For me, that brings rest. Ironically, we just listed it for sale and I’m torn in two about it. We are following God’s lead, trusting in His timing, and content with staying or going.
10) Church: This is a huge one. If you have followed the blog for any length of time you have likely deciphered that the last year was an upward battle for me in this area. This was a “small-c” church issue, not a “big-C” Church issue. I love God and I love His people. Alas, some wounds take longer to heal than others and often, you aren’t they same once they do. By His grace, I am better for having endured this journey and the fact that it brought my family to a brand new church home, which we adore, is a testament to His abiding love and enduring grace. This is a so-excited-it’s-Sunday, are-we-there-yet, do-we-really-have-to-leave kind of favorite. And one that there aren’t adequate words to give thanks for.
I could likely continue this list forever, but my five minutes ended back at #2. Thanks for indulging a few of my favorites and by all means, share some of yours in the comments below. Here’s to savoring all the best that summer has to offer, and soaking in God’s goodness all around us.
Blessed with His grace,
This post is a link-up to the Five-Minute Friday community. An inspired and beautiful group of gifted writers who pour their heart on the page over one word prompt. Come join the Friday free-write festivities or the early bird joy on Thursdays on Twitter @ #fmfparty. For details, please visit our gracious hostess, Kate Motaung.
Photo Credit (Text Overlay by Tiffany Parry)